Monday 23 June 2014

Completed: Chataigne Shorts number 2.

So I promised that I had some completed items to share with you - and here's the first!




 A second pair of Chataigne shorts from Deer and Doe.

The fabric I used was a black pinstripe woven concoction I bought at Christmas in Remnant Kings  - im not entirely sure what type fabic it was but it loved to frey! - I used it for a waistcoat and had about 1.5 m left. There were a few fit alterations I made to these ones from my last pair and I think they turned out well. the first change from the last time was that i graded out a size for the waist, this fabric is less partial to stretching with heat and so unlike the wool version I need the extra room that the larger size provided. I also graded in the legs - i may have a larger waist but my legs don't seem to need the same room. In fact the legs can probibly be brought in a little bit further.

I left off the back pocket flaps (even though I sewed them both up)- I felt in this particular fabric that they didn't look quite right I think the weight of the material was all wrong and they just didn't add anything in this particular variation.



The invisible zipper decided it was going to play on this garment so I was happy with that (although I did sew one side back to font DOH!) haha.

Woo! Waistband lines up :-D
And because i was only finishing edges inside the shorts I never changed the overlocker thread


I also slipstitched the waistband into place - not quite my neatest work but not bad either!

Squinty interfaced waistband


  The waistband is interfaced to within an inch of its life - I know it's probably not PC (I'm not caring!!) but i used all my scraps of black interfacing left from my Burda Waistcoat and made a patchwork effort on the inside. I do have a minor gripe that after a few tries to line up the point of the front waistband, it still doesn't *quite* match up - the fabric was a bit of a pain to work with so I can live with that! I'm definitely going to make these up for a third time - maybe in linen for casual summer wearing. this is probably/definitely my favourite pattern that I have made up :-).

I have a presentation of my work on Wednesday and I think these will make the perfect office attire! (with tights definately no bare legs!!)

Oh and have a look at how light it was outside at 4 am on the solstice the other night it was so pretty :-)

Looking east towards the park

Looking north west towards the park and town






















Have a good week folks

JCS

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I got as as far as muslining these in a light denim (no pockets), deciding I liked them, then stretching them all out of whack as I tried to finish them properly - pox ;( I think I'll revisit them after meeting your 2 pair - and I'm looking forward to seeing them again during OWOP ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I do love this pattern - it just seems to work for me... and true to form I have another pair waiting in the wings.... the fabric is all washed and ready to go! I did find the waistband on my wool pair did all kinds of crazy things while i was sewing them up but I stuck with it and so glad I did. hopefully you can get yours to work too :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please feel free to drop me a wee message :-)