Friday, 19 June 2015

Completed: Gather Kits Mortmain

I will be honest - I did a happy dance when this pattern arrived through my letterbox as part of the pattern swap hosted by the monthly stitch - and not least because someone let the postman into the close!! I had been hankering after this pattern for the longest time and finally I could get to work. I had the perfect fabric sourced - a beautiful Amy Butler floral and a zip had been sent as a supplementary gift so I was all set to go on return from my holiday.


Then disaster struck and my plans were blown out of the water. As my grandmother has always been really enthusiastic about my sewing hobby I knew that I wanted to make a dress for the funeral and what better a plan than to make up the dress which has been the source of so much excitement for a woman who meant so much to me?

The fabric I purchased for this new vision of the dress was a dark blue with gold outlined flowers. I saw it and instantly knew that this would be the perfect fabric. It is a kind of hybrid between a lawn and a poplin. I cant decide which! It came in at around £6/m too so - bargain! I couldn't find a zip that I really wanted but I think my second choice works just fine. I had to stitch over the ends of the zipper as it was open ended.


For the bodice and as per my measurements (38:31.5) I made up the size 14. This size worked mostly well for me however for next time I have noted a few small changes.
  • take around 1 inch of length out of the back - around 1/2 for a sway back and 1/2 for short back
  • make a large bust adjustment of around 1 inch
  • make the dress in a heavier fabric - I really want the pleats to stand out
  • remember to add my standard pocket piece! (from the cambie)


For the skirt however I went a little off piste... As I was really limited for time I decided to make the pleats up and place them myself based on the width of fabric rather than the slightly narrower pattern pieces. I didn't want to copy off the skirt pieces and carefully copy over all the notches. So i aligned up the side seams and the centre back and front and then divided up the remaining fabric to give me the required number of pleats. I thought it worked well adn is an alteration that I think I will proceed with. I also cut the fabric to a custom length based on the length between my natural waist and knee. Unlike my kim however I remembered seam and hem allowances...


I really hope you like the dress I certainly do and it's one that I enjoy wearing for the sentimental reasons that I have noted. I have really enjoyed indie pattern month over at the monthly stitch and seeing everyones wonderful takes upon all the challenges however really disappointed that I havent been able to complete everything that I had planned. Also I realise that these pics are a bit awful however thats what a fortnight of stress and not sleeping does to you! after seing these I went and relaxed with a facemask and some tea for an hour!

Enjoy your weekend folks make sure to make the most of it!

Jenn xx

6 comments:

  1. You worked hard and it looks spectacular! Love the zip and fabric -- compliments your pretty smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) - i think i annoyed the shop staff with my indecisiveness over that zip!! That was like the 3rd choice!

      Delete
  2. This silhouette is perfect for you Jennifer ! and the colour … you know you look great in blue !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I really love the pleated skirt and cant work out why I never tried it previously! I already have another pleated skirted dress finished :-D

      Delete

I love reading your comments. Please feel free to drop me a wee message :-)

Google+ Followers