I only had one major disaster and a couple of minor points which I hope to improve upon for the next time I try them but overall I think this turned out well. What do you think?
The material and buttons were purchased entirely from Mandors and the shell is a heavy weight cotton twill and the lining is err lining material? It's non staticy and in any case it is the most awesome red paisley pattern and I want to line everything with it!! I did manage to restrain myself though and only line the waistcoat...
The main stumbling point for this pattern was how to interpret this pattern piece?! I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with the cut lines at the bottom - so made that part up! - I mean I made an educated guess.....
|I decided thatoneline was a 'fold to' line and that produced ok results|
How cool are these buttons!! We decided that from the outside the waistcoat looked nothing special so to give it a unique feel we trawled the buttons in the store and found the most unusual ones that could hold together the front adn create a diversion from the attempt at welt pockets. I think they look quite 'Alice in wonderland' esque.
I was so pleased that I managed to line up the button holes so well - me and the automagical button hole function aren't really the best of friends!
One feature that I like (and which was horrifically explained) was the pleat in the back of the lining I thought it made an interesting design feature.
The only thing I would change the next time construction wise would be to make the waistcoat a little longer. The John isnt exactly a giant in stature (about 5' 10) and it does come a little short. Admittedly this wasn't the best shirt to wear and I think he should have tucked it in but when I was getting photos from an unwilling and hungry other half I wasn't going to moan too much.
|The waistcoat is a little rumpled after months stored in the bottom of the wardrobe|